Start of Year 2 and 19th Birthday

By: Astrometeor , 9:08 PM GMT on August 30, 2015

So I started my sophomore year at Millersville University on August 24th, and here are the classes I am taking this semester:

Intro to Logic
Physics with Calculus
Calculus III
Intro to Meteorology

Logic fulfills my last Humanities G1 requirement for General Education. After that I need a few higher level courses and some random things the school thinks for some odd reason students should take, and my general ed. classes should be over with.

Luckily, I have the same schedule as my roommate, and nearly the same schedule as two other friends, so with luck we should be able to tackle homework problems without too much difficulty.

August 27th was my 19th birthday, thanks to BaltimoreBrian for the birthday cake even though it had the wrong age on it, lol.

For presents this year, I got:

1. Nerf Reflex Gun
2. Magic Loops Link to some images and a description
3. USA Mens Soccer Jersey
4. Textbooks (I don’t think these count)
5. Money from both sets of grandparents
6. (will update if anything else)

It’s pretty good considering I couldn’t think of much to ask. Well, except for the textbooks, don’t really want those, but okay.

Since college has started up again, I will be pretty limited on the blogs. Any questions or comments you can leave here on the blog or shoot me a WU-mail, I still check, I just won’t be able to post often due to school obligations.

Thanks for reading, like always.

Locations of Site Visitors

Page: 1 | 2Blog Index

76. WunderAlertBot (Admin)
11:40 PM GMT on May 20, 2016
Astrometeor has created a new entry.
75. Astrometeor
5:00 AM GMT on May 18, 2016
Quoting 73. BaltimoreBrian:

Part I
Part II

And police officers want to know why they are getting so much scrutiny. >.< Those cases are shocking...like why.
74. Astrometeor
3:12 AM GMT on May 18, 2016
Quoting 72. BaltimoreBrian:

Should colleges charge for academic credit earned from unpaid internships?

To me, the more interesting question is whether colleges should be able to mandate unpaid internships for majors or degrees, as Seton Hall does. I say no.

I think unpaid internships are a corrosive practice. As a highly ranked professional, I would think of someone only taking an unpaid internship if they didn't think their work had much value. (They as a third-person singular was used by Chaucer and Shakespeare. So there.) I also think people should not be expected to work for free. And mandating unpaid internships as a requirement for majors is wrong. Just wrong.

What do you think?

If the University wants to pay for all costs associated with an unpaid internship, then sure. Unless the internship occurs in the town the student is a resident of, it's a net loss proposition short term. I think most meteorology things are paid deals, because generally you have to go a long distance to access them. It's absolutely cruel to force a poor college student to travel, find housing, and work for no money just for "experience". Not all of us get small loans of a million dollars from our parents.
73. BaltimoreBrian
3:41 AM GMT on May 17, 2016
Part I
Part II
72. BaltimoreBrian
11:57 AM GMT on May 14, 2016
Should colleges charge for academic credit earned from unpaid internships?

What do you think?
71. BaltimoreBrian
12:35 AM GMT on April 26, 2016
How police took $53,000 from a Christian band, an orphanage and a church
70. Astrometeor
1:15 PM GMT on April 18, 2016
Quoting 69. wxchaser97:

Hey Nathan, it's Isaac. I haven't been in these parts in months. How's school going for you? I'm wrapping up my freshman year at Central Michigan University and have secured a student volunteer position at the NWS Detroit/Pontiac office for the summer. My classes are going well...besides calc II. But it's almost over phew. I still can't believe how long it's been since I've been on here. Heck, I even did a blog, how weird that was. Anyway just checking in man and hope your studies and everything are going well.

Hey Isaac! School is going alright. I meant to apply for a prestigious scholarship and then Calc 3 had me thinking I failed and disqualified but I found too late I had passed. When you're a sophomore this time in December look at the NOAA scholarships. My classes are going better this semester, still feel like I'm dragging my feet because they aren't particularly exciting, with my one meteorology class being taught by a temporary professor who isn't all that great. Next year the heat really turns up, I have 4 met classes in the fall. How did you secure a volunteer position? I tried last year, didn't get it. :(

Calc 2....I'm doing power series at the moment in my ordinary differential equations class. Yuck. I remember Calc 2 with good memories, lol.
69. wxchaser97
6:19 PM GMT on April 17, 2016
68. BaltimoreBrian
11:35 PM GMT on April 14, 2016
Tennessee Gov. Haslam vetoes bill to make Bible official state book
67. BaltimoreBrian
6:19 AM GMT on April 05, 2016
Since today will be frigid for an April spring day, here's something to keep the spring mood alive:

66. BaltimoreBrian
6:12 AM GMT on April 05, 2016
I agree Nathan. I'm very curious what happens next. On to another point....Trump's had several foreign wives. It seems there really are jobs Americans won't do! (Mitt Romney, yesterday)
65. Naga5000
4:28 AM GMT on April 05, 2016
Quoting 64. Astrometeor:

I don't see a problem here. Tough luck for Trump. If he wants to be President, perhaps he should start actually campaigning to be one.

O SNAP!
64. Astrometeor
2:44 AM GMT on April 05, 2016
Quoting 63. BaltimoreBrian:

Tennessee GOP beats back Trump allies: State party approves new list of national convention delegates despite fierce outcry from the mogul's supporters.

62. LowerCal
10:36 PM GMT on March 14, 2016
Quoting 60. Astrometeor:

Interestingly enough, most students at college won't be able to vote in PA's primary because it's a closed primary...unless they are registered to vote with either Republican/Democrat, they can't vote. Not like there's any good choices...Kasich seems alright, but too little too late? Idk. I was just too busy.
Regardless of whether a vote for Kasich will make a difference now I still find something about his candidacy heartening. In votes per dollars spent he significantly outperforms the other Republicans. I don't think the problem is with the general electorate. I think the problems lie with the media - what and how they choose to cover - and to whom the practically unlimited dollars for campaign support are directed. Notice that the article in comment 57 didn't even mention Kasich's name once.

Quoting 61. BaltimoreBrian:

When I quote your comment I can see the embed code for the youtube but in your comment I only see the text, "A four-minute campaign commercial from October 1964 which, perhaps, is relevant today."
61. BaltimoreBrian
12:19 AM GMT on March 12, 2016

60. Astrometeor
5:03 AM GMT on March 06, 2016
Quoting 59. BaltimoreBrian:

Nathan!

59. BaltimoreBrian
4:08 AM GMT on March 06, 2016
Quoting 58. Astrometeor:

No I did not.
Nathan!
58. Astrometeor
6:02 PM GMT on March 05, 2016
Quoting 57. BaltimoreBrian:

Republican Voters Kind Of Hate All Their Choices Did you vote in the Tennessee primary?

No I did not. Just got too busy with schoolwork to remember filing a request. And I didn't really have any choices to vote for. My parents want to see Michael Bloomberg run as an independent.
57. BaltimoreBrian
1:02 AM GMT on March 04, 2016
56. BaltimoreBrian
6:53 AM GMT on March 02, 2016
Guess what day it is. Guess what day it is! Nate Nate Nate Nate Nate Nate Nate Nate Nate Nate. What day is it Nate? *rolls eyes* "It's Trump day." WOOHOO!
55. BaltimoreBrian
4:29 AM GMT on March 02, 2016
54. Astrometeor
4:58 AM GMT on February 27, 2016
Quoting 53. BaltimoreBrian:

Judge rules public can be stopped from recording cops

That's a dumb ruling. And what gives officers the right to seize random citizens' possessions? Nothing. If the citizen is not interfering with whatever, then there's no problem. It's a video camera. It records things. They're like mechanical eye balls. What's next? Stealing someone's eyes?

>.<
53. BaltimoreBrian
1:03 AM GMT on February 27, 2016
Judge rules public can be stopped from recording cops
52. BaltimoreBrian
1:28 AM GMT on February 26, 2016
I'm sorry about your ODE quiz. I know you'll do better.

Alliteration
alleviates almost all
algebra always.

Check out the first letter of each word in the haiku. Then check out the second ;)
51. BaltimoreBrian
12:47 AM GMT on February 26, 2016
Apple Faces U.S. Demand to Unlock 9 More iPhones
50. BaltimoreBrian
11:48 AM GMT on February 24, 2016
Truce, Cease-Fire and Armistice: The Legal Nuances
49. Astrometeor
8:06 AM GMT on February 23, 2016
Quoting 48. Naga5000:

Hey Nathan, just checking in and saying hello. Hope everything is well at college. I miss being around more, but I think about you a lot and read here pretty frequently. It's fantastic to see your thought processes and arguments. :)

Thanks Naga. I don't know about you, I hate reading dry papers with a load of statistics in them. Just read a 46 page paper for my 8 AM class in a few hours that was about Republican obstructionism in confirming Obama's first term judicial appointees. Pretty damning evidence. There were a few good points the GOP had, but some of the nominations were delayed to a ridiculous length, for no reason at all. Took me four and a half hours, I'm usually pretty speedy at reading, but not this stuff. Dry.

This week seems to be midterm week, I mentioned on the blog I failed my ODE test on Monday. Today (Tuesday) I have a physics quiz that's really more like a part of the physics test I have tomorrow. Then I have my Judicial test on Thursday morning and a Physical Meteorology test on Thursday afternoon. Ugh.
48. Naga5000
4:34 AM GMT on February 23, 2016
47. Astrometeor
11:53 PM GMT on February 21, 2016
Quoting 46. BaltimoreBrian:

Defectum humoris non curat lex ('the law does not reward humorlessness')

Reminds me of the need for penalties for frivolous lawsuits. The courts get overworked.
46. BaltimoreBrian
2:02 AM GMT on February 21, 2016
Defectum humoris non curat lex ('the law does not reward humorlessness')
45. MountainManDave9
1:24 AM GMT on February 21, 2016
Hi Nathan,

California received some more beneficial rainfall and snow for the Sierra Nevada mountains with this past Pacific cold front on the 17th and 18th.

Dave
44. MountainManDave9
9:48 AM GMT on January 24, 2016
Hi Nathan,

Some of the east coast states are receiving snowfall, especially New York.

In California, we could end the drought if we receive 57% more rainfall on top of what we have now for this year. There's three more months left for strong weather systems to occur.

Dave

<>img src="">
43. BaltimoreBrian
4:13 AM GMT on January 24, 2016
42. Astrometeor
4:50 AM GMT on January 13, 2016
Quoting 41. BaltimoreBrian:

This is a lot longer than the typical news article, but since you're still on break you may not mind reading it.

Why the 'wet tea leaves' drug raid was outrageous

Union Fees in Jeopardy
41. BaltimoreBrian
4:36 AM GMT on January 13, 2016

Why the 'wet tea leaves' drug raid was outrageous
40. Astrometeor
7:07 PM GMT on December 26, 2015
39. MountainManDave9
1:35 AM GMT on December 24, 2015
HAPPY NEW YEAR NATHAN,

It looks as though the weather pattern has change for this up coming winter. The cities and the seashore of California may experience the type of snowfall that the east coast cities had experience for centuries.  While the east coast cities will be warm and dry with some rain of course. No snowfall. That would be amazing if that really happens for 2016.

Dave
38. Astrometeor
9:50 PM GMT on December 19, 2015
Quoting 37. MountainManDave9:

Hi Nathan,

More rain for Central California this weekend and for the rest of this month as well. A good snow season for the Sierra Nevada so far.

Happy Holidays,
Dave

Happy Holidays, Dave, I hope you guys get the rain and the snow all season long. I read an article recently about parts of Central Valley sinking 2" a month from the aquifer compacting on itself. Not good.
37. MountainManDave9
8:51 AM GMT on December 19, 2015
Hi Nathan,

Happy Holidays,
Dave
36. Astrometeor
10:34 PM GMT on December 18, 2015
Quoting 35. BaltimoreBrian:

White and Asian Professors Need Not Apply: A University of Louisville job ad excluded whites and Asians. Is that OK?

No that is not ok! Not only for the federal violations, but for the fact that is ethically inexcusable! I know Universities are trying to hire more minorities, but blatantly disallowing others like this is not right.

On a semi related note, my little brother got accepted to University of Tennessee, where the engineering department said they accepted enough women to make next year's class a record 22% female. Woot. He also got accepted to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and got rejected by Purdue. He's still waiting on Case Western and Georgia Tech, not sure if he applied anywhere else.
35. BaltimoreBrian
12:13 AM GMT on December 18, 2015
34. Naga5000
5:37 PM GMT on December 08, 2015
Aha! Two papers down, one to go. Hope your finals week is going well. I think you'll do fine on the Calc exam. It reminds me of my undergrad programming course. I needed a 44 to pass and given my inability to program, I just made it. :)
33. BaltimoreBrian
5:55 AM GMT on December 08, 2015
I don't have a problem with food revenues going to the cost of the cafeteria. Anything else, no. Unethical.
32. Astrometeor
5:52 AM GMT on December 08, 2015
Quoting 31. BaltimoreBrian:

My heavy meal plan was in the $800s and rose into the low $900s by 91/92. But the meal plan went strictly for meals, there were not add-ons to it. I didn't see a $350 figure in the article, although I did see a figure of $343 annually for South Carolina State University. It would be interesting to see if revenue from Millersville's meal plans is diverted to other purposes besides food purchases, food service employees and food services' share of the capital costs.

I put the 350 figure in because of that 343 and the other handful 300 figures dotting the story.

If there's money going towards capital improvements, I want an audit. The new dorms are sub-par, and South Villages in particular are horribly built. They had another false fire alarm today. Someone probably looked at the sprinklers the wrong way, again. >.<
31. BaltimoreBrian
1:36 AM GMT on December 08, 2015
30. Astrometeor
1:27 AM GMT on December 08, 2015
Quoting 29. BaltimoreBrian:

Meal Plan Costs Tick Upward as Students Pay for More Than Food

My meal plan costs $2300 a semester. 250 meals. I find the estimate of "$350" in other costs to be low...Mom buys food for the family (four people, once a week) under $120. The University is charging several times that amount when theoretically buying in bulk should be cheaper. And then they lie through their teeth about it.

We ask "how about price things according to their retail price?"

University: "We do."

Us: "Ah, that's why the $1 parfait at Sheetz is $4 here on campus. Totally equal."

University: *changes meal plans to block count and combo* "Happy?"

Us: ".....WTF! You gave us less food for higher cost?!"

My friend went shopping over the summer with her mother, and compared the prices of various things that were in store versus what the campus sold them for. Her mother couldn't believe it.

Now there's rumors the school is going to give my residence hall back to the town the year after next (it's rented hotel space), even though it's the best of campus. That would be my senior year, hopefully I'll be in an apartment, free from the scourges of the Campus Dining Services Scam. Although mandatory meal plans...
29. BaltimoreBrian
10:45 AM GMT on December 07, 2015
Meal Plan Costs Tick Upward as Students Pay for More Than Food
28. BaltimoreBrian
1:15 AM GMT on December 03, 2015
27. BaltimoreBrian
5:10 AM GMT on November 25, 2015
A song on topic
26. Astrometeor
4:46 AM GMT on November 25, 2015
Quoting 25. Naga5000:

Don't worry, the higher you go in education, the opinions still make no sense. The only change is the people saying them have letters behind their name.

When I first went to college straight out of high school, I was at the University of Florida. I found out really quick as a 17 year old that drinking and drugs were way more fun than going to class. I'm surprised I made it through the year and a half I did. I really wasn't interested in opinions and knowledge. I loved science, but had no real binding to the context of the world. I'm sure my opinions were naive and ignorant at times, and probably just plain dumb at others.

My second try at college has put me where I am today, just a bit away from getting some important letters behind my name. I wish I had the awareness that you have during my first attempt. I see a lot of students here with that awareness, but many more without. Some of them have a talent like the math star. That will get you a nice career, but being talented and socially personable and aware will get you further. Some of them are partiers like Eagleweed, some of the most brilliant people I know are heavy drinkers to this day. The world is bright and confusing for some of us and we need to dim it to comprehend it, those people aren't bad people. As for the super religious, I have to admit, I've removed most of them from my life. I'm a proud raging atheist, but not a militant one. Militant atheism is no different from other fundamentalism, it's only a substitution.

There is no normal. Means and averages are just constructions that aid in measurement and statistics. There is no reason to feel not normal however, it's everyone else that's crazy. :)

I went through anti-drug programs growing up in school plus Scouting, which steered me away from drugs. On top of that, those who do drugs today aren't fun to be around. Short tempers, lack of concentration & motivation, and a seeming lack of intelligence in some...

I didn't know how many people actually did drugs until I heard stories about the other high schools in Nashville. My school wasn't like that, we were a bunch of nerds, we were more fixed on getting that next high from an A on a test than a joint.

At least you turned out alright. :) I don't think I'll be able to say the same about the kids I know who have experimented with drugs. The ones who only do weed aren't bad, there's some smart cookies there, but the motivation is lacking. Not saying I have a ton of it, but in their cases it's gone. Evaporated quicker than a pot of boiling water can freeze after being tossed in Antarctica in the winter.

Page: 1 | 2Blog Index