AP Scores

By: Astrometeor , 3:48 AM GMT on July 10, 2014

So, a couple days ago College Board released AP scores for this year. Here are my results:

Environmental Science – 5
U.S. Government – 5
Macro Economics – 4
Literature & Composition – 3 (not happy with that)
B.C. Calculus – 2 (definitely not happy, but expected somewhat)

Scores I got last year were:

U.S. History – 4
English Language – 3 (not happy with that)
Physics B – 3

For those who don't know, AP classes give high school students the chance to take college-level courses. These courses run at a more in-depth level and a higher pace than classes of a honors level or even lower, a regular level. A major benefit to AP courses other than an introduction to college-level intense classes is that these courses are bonus points on college applications, and most colleges offer credit for passing grades on the AP tests.

Passing grade is 3 or above. The scale is thus:

5 – Very well qualified.
4 – Definitely qualified.
3 – Qualified.
2 – Possibly Qualified.
1 – Not Qualified.

I have heard of a grade known as *, but that's only given to those who don't even bother answering questions on the test, or making a mockery of the test. Again, I'm not even sure if that grade exists, only heard of it from a few teachers.

Click here to find out more about AP and about College Board, a multi-billion dollar business!
Link

Thanks for reading!

Locations of Site Visitors

25. WunderAlertBot (Admin)
6:04 PM GMT on July 14, 2014
Astrometeor has created a new entry.
24. Astrometeor
5:42 PM GMT on July 14, 2014
Quoting 23. JanesVacation:

Thanks for stopping by my blog this morning. I really like seeing your AP grades - makes this teacher happy to see a successful student! I also noticed that you have the same birthday as my son - coming up August 27. Except my son will be 27, hey, it's his "golden" birthday. I hadn't thought of that!

Your weather looks hot which is good news since the A/C didn't seem to be working on my car this morning. Hopefully it is a "simple" fix. I'll have to Google that later.

So, you head back to school on August 1? Wow, that is the hot part of the summer here and our school buildings are not typically air conditioned. I work in the computer lab, so I'm lucky and that room always is cool.

I always like to say all of the cool kids have birthdays in August. My best friend from elementary school had a birthday two days after mine, my cousin is three days later, my best friend at church is the same day, and a girl who's a close friend is a week before.

Metro starts Aug. 1. They used to start August 16/17, but wanted to start earlier to prevent "summer forgetfulness" in students.

My college classes start August 25 in Pennsylvania, so I have some time left.
23. JanesVacation
4:00 PM GMT on July 14, 2014

22. Astrometeor
4:41 AM GMT on July 14, 2014
Quoting 20. KoritheMan:

I can think of many other places I'd live.

I don't sympathize with the NSA surveillance programs, for example. It doesn't bother me personally because I have a different standard of privacy compared to most people, but I can't help but sympathize with the general populace on their disdain of it.

The NSA program is a stupid side effect of the PATRIOT act.

What other place would you like to live? Canada? Eww. Costa Rica? Double-eww.
21. Astrometeor
4:25 AM GMT on July 14, 2014
Quoting 19. Bluestorm5:

I can't stress to others on WU how impressive it is to get a 4 or 5 on AP exams. I took five of them and only passed US History with a 3. I was never a good AP exam taker (passing it = college credits), but my grades from AP courses (that actually counted toward high school GPA) were usually a B which is why I got into a solid university.

Millersville said it gives English credit if you get a 3 on either Lang or Lit.
20. KoritheMan
3:55 AM GMT on July 14, 2014
Quoting 17. Astrometeor:

? How so? Sure the U.S. Government has its poor sides, but I wouldn't live anywhere else in the world. Maybe Hawaii....oh wait, that's America still. LOL.

I can think of many other places I'd live.

19. Bluestorm5
9:20 PM GMT on July 13, 2014
18. Astrometeor
8:19 PM GMT on July 13, 2014
I should remove comments #15 and #16 just to rile Max's "Astro is a dictator" idea. Lmao.
17. Astrometeor
8:18 PM GMT on July 13, 2014
Quoting 16. MaxWeather:

Yep.. Kori's heading on the right track...

Quoting 15. KoritheMan:

Because our government sucks, perhaps?

16. MaxWeather
2:36 PM GMT on July 13, 2014
Quoting 15. KoritheMan:

Because our government sucks, perhaps?

Yep.. Kori's heading on the right track...
15. KoritheMan
6:07 AM GMT on July 13, 2014
Quoting 14. Astrometeor:

Felt like it. Why did you say "ewww"? 'um....nothin'' ain't a legit excuse.

Because our government sucks, perhaps?
14. Astrometeor
4:12 AM GMT on July 13, 2014
Quoting 12. MaxWeather:

um.. nothin'
edit...why did you plus it anyway?

Felt like it. Why did you say "ewww"? 'um....nothin'' ain't a legit excuse.
13. VirginIslandsVisitor
4:05 AM GMT on July 13, 2014
Congrats, Astro!

Lindy

12. MaxWeather
5:09 PM GMT on July 12, 2014
Quoting 8. Astrometeor:

Why's that an "eww"?

um.. nothin'
edit...why did you plus it anyway?
11. Astrometeor
3:56 AM GMT on July 11, 2014
Thing is, Rob, I love math. It's logical. I was good at it up until calculus. And even then, I did better at the Calc II stuff in the spring than the Calc I in the fall of '13. For me, my best teacher was my Algebra I teacher. She's retiring I believe. But, she would dress up like a Native American to ram home factoring techniques. She would make us switch our desks around to remember rules with inequalities. And, she had competitions in class that were fun and challenging to get us to learn our math better.
The upper teachers don't. And yea, like you said, a lot of teachers love the course, but don't know how to teach it well. I think it was Einstein who said, "If you can't teach it to a random stranger, you don't know it well enough."

English...I hate. I had a good experience this past year with it, but still not something that I can make a good grade in. Always average. No idea why, either.
10. RobDaHood
3:39 AM GMT on July 11, 2014
You done good Astro. Congrats.
Reading, compositon, English? Read and write.

The math stuff. Well, that doesn't come easy to most...myself included.
Yeah, I aced all the math stuff in High School and what I had to do in college, including calc and trig. But I did that by a group of us teaching each other. Most math teachers are folks who love math and to whom math comes easily. That type doesn't make the best teacher because they don't get how hard it is for others to grasp.

Best math teacher I ever had was a pre-algebra teacher who was an out of work construction worker who just happened to have a teaching certificate. He was going home every night and relearning the stuff that he had to teach the next day. We all loved him because he understood and was patient.

So...you did well on the tests and you know what areas you need to concentrate on and maybe get help with.
Not shabby at all man. Good for you!
9. Astrometeor
3:35 AM GMT on July 11, 2014
@Naga, IRG, Picatso, nigel.

Thanks you guys for the kind words!

8. Astrometeor
2:59 AM GMT on July 11, 2014
Quoting 7. MaxWeather:

Got 5 for US Gov....?
Ewww

Why's that an "eww"?
7. MaxWeather
2:42 AM GMT on July 11, 2014
Got 5 for US Gov....?
Ewww
6. nigel20
11:04 PM GMT on July 10, 2014
Well done, Nathan!

Yes, calculus is quite challenging. I did four semeters as part of my Electrical Engineering degree program. A single problem can occupy in excess of two pages.
5. indianrivguy
3:32 PM GMT on July 10, 2014
Well done my young friend, I am proud of you!
4. Picatso
1:59 PM GMT on July 10, 2014
Hi Astro,

You have done very well - do not forget that.

On the subject of calculus, the AP background experience should help in your college courses. The theories and formulae will not be new to you as they will to some of your classmates.

As you have noted, calculus is time-consuming and intricate, perhaps too much so for a single exam.

Again, congratulations!
3. Naga5000
4:17 AM GMT on July 10, 2014
Congrats! I'm really happy for you Astro. It sounds like you're going to do just fine at the next level.

Quoting 2. Astrometeor:

Calculus is hard, bro. That was the hardest test I've ever taken, and I passed the practice tests and the tests from past years (they're online). The Free-Response Questions were horrible, I had no idea what they were asking me to do on half of it.

Plus, there's a time limit. Like....what? I tend to take my time on the long-winded problems, so I don't screw up. Calculus is one of those subjects I feel should NOT have a time limit. No one finished. That's really sub-par of the AP.

Yes calculus is hard, it's beyond my pay grade.
2. Astrometeor
4:12 AM GMT on July 10, 2014
Quoting 1. KoritheMan:

You with a 2 on something mathematically related? Consider me surprised.

1. KoritheMan
3:57 AM GMT on July 10, 2014
You with a 2 on something mathematically related? Consider me surprised.