Austria and Slovenia Set All-time Heat Records; Record Heat in Shanghai, China

By: Dr. Jeff Masters , 11:09 PM GMT on August 08, 2013

A historic heat wave is underway in Central Europe, where both both Austria and Slovenia set all-time national heat records on August 8. Three locations in Austria passed the 40°C (104°F) mark, beating the former national record of 39.9°C (103.8°F) set just last week, on August 3rd at Dellach im Drautal. According to the Austrian met service, ZAMG, the hottest spot was Bad Deutsch-Altenburg, with a 40.5°C (104.9°F) reading. Slovenia also surpassed its national heat record on August 8, with a 40.8°C (105.4°F) reading at Cerklje ob Krki (former record: 40.6°C (105.1°F) at Crnomelj on July 5, 1950.) Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia, has broken its all-time heat record five of the past six days, with each day hotter than the previous record. The newest record is the 40.2°C (104.4°) recorded on August 8th. Records go back 150 years at this station.

Figure 1. South Korean children cool themselves off by playing in a fountain in downtown Seoul, South Korea, Thursday, Aug. 8, 2013. A heat wave warning was issued in South Korea as Ulsan reached 38.8°C (101.8°F), just 1.2°C short of South Korea’s national all-time record high of 40.0°C (104.0°F). (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man)

Remarkable heat in East Asia
China's most populous city, Shanghai, broke its all-time record for hottest temperature on record for the second time this summer on August 7, when the mercury topped out at 40.8°C (105.4°F). The previous record was set just the day before (40.6°C/105.1°F), and also on July 26th. Prior to this summer, the record for Shanghai was 40.2°C (104.4°F) during the summer of 1934. Records in Shanghai date back to 1872. Today (August 8th), the temperature peaked at 40.2°C (104.4°F), so Shanghai has had its four hottest days in its history this summer. Extreme heat was also experienced over South Korea and Japan today, and wunderground's weather historian Christopher C. Burt has the details in his latest post. Many more all-time heat records may have fallen in both Central Europe and East Asia, and Chris plans to update his post with all the latest records on Friday.

Extensive credit for researching these records goes to weather records researcher Maximiliano Herrera, who maintains a comprehensive set of extreme temperature records on his web site.

Jeff Masters

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15Blog Index

708. JohnLonergan
4:56 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 664. Naga5000:

Communists. Lol. That's a good one. Anyways, I've posted it before, I'll post it again. While it is true that above the 80th parallel temperatures have been below normal, Link, sea ice volume is still 2 standard deviations below the 1979-2012 mean Link about 4th lowest, and the extent is currently 4th lowest Link almost 2 standard deviations outside the 1981 - 2010 mean. That should tell us something big, despite the below normal temps, the arctic is still experiencing huge sea ice losses. Also, 1 year of variability does not make a serious argument against global warming at all, as 1 year regional variability has never been climate.

As for the sun, well that's called a natural forcing and it has been accounted for in the research into global warming. Link

Don't complain about a "balanced coverage" when there is simply no comparison between scientific research and a blog on the internet. If the folks at notrickszone had something real to say, I would happily read their published data...so far like most of the other blogs, there are no publications, only bad statistics and cherry picking.

No one "attacks" but when bad data and half truths are turned out, you are most definitely correct in assuming it will be rebutted with real science. Education and knowledge is key here, misinformation will just lead us down a path of absurdity. Cheers.

You, Birthmark, Neapolitan and some others have a lot more patience than I do with deniers than I do, I ignore anybody who regularly posts links to sites like watts, morano,etc. My thanks for pointing out their wrongness as you do.
707. JohnLonergan
4:48 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 697. Birthmark:

So if I think "Beany and Cecil" is a documentary, I don't deserve to be mocked and ridiculed? Someone should actually rebut such an assertion in a serious manner? Really?

Denialists are at just about that level with their anti-science raving.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions."

Thomas Jefferson
Quoting 657. Neapolitan:
"Balanced coverage"? You should know by now that there's science, and then there's not science; giving supporters of the latter equal audience with the former is as far from "balanced" as one can possibly get.

Notrickzone is about as far from real science as you can get.
705. 62901IL
4:33 PM GMT on August 09, 2013

Did you guys notice there was a new blog?
704. SuperStorm093
4:32 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
hour 186, nothing really in GOM aanymore and CV storm WAY weaker than 6z/
703. GTstormChaserCaleb
4:32 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
171 hrs. watch BOC for development, hopefully it goes to Texas for obvious reasons.

702. JohnLonergan
4:30 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 699. Birthmark:

So is this Danish newspaper peer-reviewed? LOL

You guys!

You'd have to be pretty gullible to believe any thing from ClimateDepot.
700. MrMixon
4:27 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 507. AussieStorm:

Sorry I have been missing all day, not been well.

MrMixon
I don't know where you think Shanghai is but you are way off. You are close with Hong Kong though. Looks like a Shenhai peninsula Typhoon.

Sorry you haven't felt well - hope you're feeling better.

The cone has shifted south significantly since I posted my original comment - this is the problem with posting dynamic images. But I will admit, the spelling of Shanghai and Chenghai are awfully close... :)

As it stands, neither Chenghai nor Hong Kong are in the cone, and forecast intensity has dropped significantly.

NOTE - this is a dynamic image and may change after I post it! (I'll do a snapshot next time...)
698. opal92nwf
4:19 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
I am one who believes that us humans are probably affecting our earth and atmosphere to some degree. And since I am a sort of a conservationist, I welcome any measures our society employs to help minimize our impact to the earth.

However, I just don't get wrapped up in extreme climate change advocacy. For me, I find it hard to take every word and article seriously as I usually feel like certain issues are blown too big to make people alarmed. Yes, that is what I feel like a lot of this is, making some bigger than they are creating alarmism.

Also, agendas.

But, still I believe we should do all we can to reduce our impact to our earth.

I will not reply to any reply comments I get, as I am just stating my opinion and where I stand.
696. mitchelace5
4:16 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting palmbaywhoo:
Scariest Halloween ever huh?

Lol. More like a bummer Halloween
695. VAstorms
4:13 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 96. captainmark:
I was just nit picking about "nip picker" being spelled wrong, but can't remember if it is nit or knit.

It's nits as they are the larvae of lice.
694. bjrabbit
4:13 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 622. VAbeachhurricanes:

your link is broken

Try this:

http://www.climatedepot.com/2013/08/09/major-dani sh-daily-newspaper-warns-globe-may-be-on-path-to-l ittle-ice-agemuch-colder-wintersdramatic-consequen ces/

Or

Link

693. palmbaywhoo
4:12 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Scariest Halloween ever huh?
Quoting 678. mitchelace5:

My 1st hurricane experience I remember was Wilma. I was 10. That completely ruined Halloween for me lol. Anyways, when I woke up on October 24, 2005, winds were howling and whilsting, and things knocking against each other. Part of my ceiling collapsed due to water pressure, and my dad has sealed it back. On that same evening, my power cut off, and the storm didn't clear my area until later that night. The next morning, my dad went to go pick up uprooted limbs and small branches. My power didn't come on for 11 days after Wilma.

692. LAsurvivor
4:12 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 558. SouthernIllinois:

Is the 12Z NAM on to something or just out to lunch. This is the run 27 hours out. Holy Smokes!! Big rains for Cypress!! :)

What say you, LAsurvivor??

As I said in my first ever post, I am very inexperienced at reading all the charts and graphs, but I like it when people put explanations about the NAM, GFS, etc., etc. If you wouldn't mind, SouthernIllinois, how about giving me your take on the image you posted and asked me about?
691. Tornado6042008X
4:11 PM GMT on August 09, 2013

Quoting 681. ILwthrfan:
West Pacific has a big time problem I believe. JTWC has always been conservative. Last night they had this shooting the gap and approaching Hong Kong on day 5 with 110 kt winds. Just from satellite 11W looks like its getting full ventilation in all quadrants. Hope they are prepared. They have shifted their track to the south considerably.

Click for loop

This could already be a strong tropical storm at least.
690. bjrabbit
4:08 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 676. VAbeachhurricanes:

Just because you have a differing opinion doesn't mean you should be mocked and ridiculed.

VAbeachhurricanes:

Any arguments by GW deniers are only met with ridicule by those who are invested in GW.

I just apologize to all for sinking to their level with my Communist comment. I should know better.

I firmly believe that there are very, very few absolutes in nature...you even have scientists trying to prove that SOMETHING out there can exceed the speed of light.

Things happen usually when the status quo is challenged. When you have such a large group of people who are so invested and think, for whatever reason that they are so right on a subject, is usually a sign they are about to be proven wrong.

Pride goeth before the fall....

Bert

689. LargoFl
4:08 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
688. WunderAlertBot (Admin)
4:07 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
JeffMasters has created a new entry.
687. MechEngMet
4:07 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 669. seminolesfan:

"The chief characteristic which distinguishes the scientific method from other methods of acquiring knowledge is that scientists seek to let reality speak for itself, supporting a theory when a theory's predictions are confirmed and challenging a theory when its predictions prove false. Although procedures vary from one field of inquiry to another, identifiable features distinguish scientific inquiry from other methods of obtaining knowledge. Scientific researchers propose hypotheses as explanations of phenomena, and design experimental studies to test these hypotheses via predictions which can be derived from them. These steps must be repeatable, to guard against mistake or confusion in any particular experimenter. Theories that encompass wider domains of inquiry may bind many independently derived hypotheses together in a coherent, supportive structure. Theories, in turn, may help form new hypotheses or place groups of hypotheses into context.
Scientific inquiry is generally intended to be as objective as possible in order to reduce biased interpretations of results. Another basic expectation is to document, archive and share all data and methodology so they are available for careful scrutiny by other scientists, giving them the opportunity to verify results by attempting to reproduce them. This practice, called full disclosure, also allows statistical measures of the reliability of these data to be established (when data is sampled or compared to chance)."

Quote from Wiki; there is my full disclosure(bold is mine, too)

Seminolesfan, Good morning! You have mail. I think I sent you something about a week or so ago. (I may have used the wrong name though...)
686. georgevandenberghe
4:04 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
I asked the question on Burt's blog. I'll repeat it here.
WHY is it so hot in China this summer compared with
a normal summer.

685. washingtonian115
4:04 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
In times like these I think of storms like these..
684. whitewabit
4:02 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 679. seer2012:

That wave that is visiting Ethiopia should hit the water about one week from now. I suspect this is the one to watch!

you know how many times that has been said this year ..
683. LargoFl
4:02 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
682. HoraceDebussyJones
4:01 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 648. Grothar:

That is what I heard. I have a sister who lives up near you and she called last night. I don't care for her much so I pay very little attention to what she says.

I have one just like that near Daytona--just goes on and on and on and......

Satch

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON NC
1046 AM EDT FRI AUG 9 2013

.SYNOPSIS...
HIGH PRESSURE WILL SLOWLY GIVE WAY TO A MORE UNSETTLED PATTERN FOR
THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS. GENEROUS AMOUNTS OF RAINFALL ARE POSSIBLE
SUNDAY THROUGH MUCH OF NEXT WEEK. A COLD FRONT MAY MOVE FAR ENOUGH
SOUTH LATE NEXT WEEK TO LEAD TO DRIER CONDITIONS.

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
AS OF 1040 AM FRIDAY...A BAND OF SUBSIDENCE APPROACHING THE SC COAST
LOCALIZED FLOODING REMAINS A POSSIBILITY THROUGH THE AFTERNOON WITH
SUCH ABUNDANT AVAILABILITY OF COLUMN MOISTURE. IN ADDITION TO SEA
CONVERGENCE THIS AFTERNOON...A PIEDMONT WILL SHARPEN ACROSS OUR VERY
WESTERN ZONES AS WELL...ALLOWING FOR AN ADDITIONAL FOCUS MECHANISM
FOR AFTERNOON CONVECTION.

MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES UPPER 80S TO THE LOWER 90S TODAY STILL LOOKS ON
TARGET WITH HEAT INDICES AROUND 100 DEGREES IN MANY LOCATIONS.

CONVECTION SHOULD FALL APART DURING THE EARLY TO MID EVENING HOURS
WITH THE LOSS OF DAYTIME HEATING. MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES ARE EXPECTED
OVERNIGHT WITH LOWS FALLING TO 73-77...WARMEST ALONG THE SOUTH-
FACING BRUNSWICK COUNTY BEACHES.

&&

679. seer2012
3:59 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 658. FtMyersgal:

678. mitchelace5
3:57 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting palmbaywhoo:
Anyone else care to offer their first hurricane experience to curtail some of the other conversations we'd rather not see take over??

677. LargoFl
3:57 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
676. VAbeachhurricanes
3:56 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 671. NasBahMan:
How about this, why don't our 'denialist' bloggers start a blog strictly limited to all the info and links they can come up with to refute the science supporting climate change. I for one would be sure to read it everyday as I think it's good to have a daily laugh.

675. LargoFl
3:55 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
674. LargoFl
3:53 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
673. calkevin77
3:52 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 651. Grothar:

Aw, come on, 1900, let them enjoy their bob while they can. :)

Spongeblob Sqaure Pants.
672. LargoFl
3:52 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 665. icmoore:

We got 2.10" just south of you in Madeira Beach yesterday. Quite a storm had to pump out the back patio.
yes it sure was a strong storm alright.
671. NasBahMan
3:51 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
670. palmbaywhoo
3:50 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
669. seminolesfan
3:50 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 657. Neapolitan:

Quote from Wiki; there is my full disclosure(bold is mine, too)
668. StAugSurf
3:50 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 657. Neapolitan:
Neo you have to be about the most patient person I know of. Keep trying to teach and sooner or later it will sink in.
667. Neapolitan
3:47 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 662. PensacolaDoug:
Here we go again.
I know, right? Dr. Masters posts a fact-based blog entry, and people feel the need to come along and accuse him of "ignoring" articles (on a website that's unavailable, to boot).
666. mitchelace5
3:47 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting MisterPerfect:
My first Hurricane experience that I can remember was David in 1979. I was young but I remember my father putting the awnings down and cutting the limbs of the avocado tree.

You were in Florida at the time?
665. icmoore
3:46 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 650. LargoFl:
yeah we were getting 2-3 inches of rain an hour and real windy and lightning etc.

664. Naga5000
3:45 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 619. bjrabbit:
I find it highly interesting that Dr Masters has ignored to news events that contradict GW that have come to light this week.

First, there was an article on how the Arctic had their shortest "summer" in terms of temps in years.

Next was the following article that I have linked to which references the fact that the sun has much more influence on our climate than CO2. (Sorry Communists) Link

Perhaps we can get a little more balanced coverage next week but I am not holding my breath.

Bert

Quoting 634. luvtogolf:

Not gonna happen and be prepared to get attacked.

663. 62901IL
3:45 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 661. MisterPerfect:

Category 5!
662. PensacolaDoug
3:44 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Here we go again.
661. MisterPerfect
3:43 PM GMT on August 09, 2013

660. yankees440
3:43 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
Quoting 603. Grothar:
Dark clouds moving in from the beach and SE in Fort Lauderdale. We are already getting light rain.

And please don't ask if that is an eye :)

Is that an "eye"..lol..jk
659. 62901IL
3:43 PM GMT on August 09, 2013
658. FtMyersgal
3:43 PM GMT on August 09, 2013

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15Blog Index

Category 6™

About

Cat 6 lead authors: WU cofounder Dr. Jeff Masters (right), who flew w/NOAA Hurricane Hunters 1986-1990, & WU meteorologist Bob Henson, @bhensonweather