Dangerous winds/rain batter southern Alaska

By: Levi32 , 4:53 PM GMT on November 22, 2007

What was supposed to be a routine melt-down storm this week has turned into a pretty nasty situation. For 3 days heavy rains have been melting snow and swelling streams, and a flood advisory is now in effect for the Anchor River and Homer area, where I live. Now this morning winds have been added at an alarming rate. Take a look at the surface map at the bottom of this blog entry and look just to the right of the middle. You will see the long fetch of warm air from the southeast pouring into the warm sector of the low over my area. The gradient is extremely tight, and amazingly the winds in the warm sector are exceeding the winds on the back side of the low, which in the north Pacific is very rare. At my house the winds are blowing foam insulation slabs and sawhorses everywhere lol. We just had a wind gust of 105 mph, so things are pretty dangerous outside. Power is fluctuating as you can imagine, and I wouldn't be surprised if we black out any second. The winds aren't sustained at more than 30mph, but the sudden gusts of Cat. 2-3 hurricane force are what really shake the place. Hopefully power will stay on or we'll have a lot of uncooked turkey's around here this Thanksgiving lol.

To those of you who thought Alaska was safe from hurricanes, you thought wrong lol :)

^Click for Loop^

16. AKSnowLuvr
11:46 PM GMT on November 23, 2007
The rain we got the last couple of days finally caused a sinkhole in our backyard in the septic field. A blessing in a way, because it's possible one of us would have stepped on it with all the snowcover we had just a few days ago. Now we might actually be able to get the yard dug up before it REALLY freezes. :p

I DARE it to dump 9' on us... :D *looking around nervously...* :D
10:27 PM GMT on November 23, 2007
Yup, but 956 isn't that out of the ordinary around here. You'll get used to it lol.
14. Tazmanian
9:57 PM GMT on November 23, 2007
LOL is that a 956mb low i see on that map???
9:41 PM GMT on November 23, 2007
Hey this is cool, check out the radar:

The low center is practically over my house, you can see the spin there. Also we're starting to get some colder air on the back side of this, and the temperature has dropped to 33 and it's now wet snow falling not rain. Even if the temperature goes below freezing now we won't have time to accumulate any snow, but at least it's in the air :)
9:37 PM GMT on November 23, 2007
Normally you in Sterling get more than Homer proper. However I can compete with you closely because I live at 1100 feet on Diamond Ridge. Average snow pack last 5 years is 35 inches, which is way lower than what it used to be. I can still remember the winters with 9 feet, up to the second story windows of our house.

As for snow this winter we should get at least a normal amount, which would be more than the last 5 years. La Nina typically means more cold and precipitation for us, so hopefully not many storms like the one we just had with a bunch of warmth and rain.
11. AKSnowLuvr
8:42 PM GMT on November 23, 2007
P.S. glad you survived with minimal damage. Always good news. :)
10. AKSnowLuvr
8:40 PM GMT on November 23, 2007
Um... don't you usually get more snow than we do??? Wahhhhhhh!!!!! Any thoughts on snow after December?
7:11 PM GMT on November 23, 2007
Thanks everyone, we survived :). Lost a lot of expensive insulation foam slabs for our greenhouse foundation but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Everyone around lost power except us lol. It's over now, but no snow until December, which is going to be a very interesting month weather-wise.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
8. AKSnowLuvr
6:20 PM GMT on November 23, 2007
We lost power in Sterling from 7:30pm to 2am last night. Luckily the food was all cooked. :D
Hope you had a good T-day, and survived the winds...
7. charlestonlady
4:17 AM GMT on November 23, 2007
happy thanksgiving levi!
7:47 PM GMT on November 22, 2007
Hey Denver, weaver, shore! A wonderful Thanksgiving to you all too!

I wish it would snow but it's been this way for 5 years now where it all melts away at least once a month. I'm ready for a blizzard too lol.

Shore, yup it's really complicated. You'd be surprised at how life-threatening it can actually get up here. How'd you like to be driving out the Homer spit during a blizzard with snow rates at 6 inches per hour, water on both sides crashing up to the tires in 80 mph winds, and visibility not even past your hood? Pretty scary lol. I'm describing a storm that actually happened 2 years ago and my friend drove out the spit in it. Nearly ran into a semi that was driving in his lane although he didn't know it.

Long story short, even Alaska isn't safe weather-wise lol. You have a great day =)
5. shoreacres
7:29 PM GMT on November 22, 2007
Hi, Levi ~

A happy Thanksgiving to you, even if you are weathered-in! Hope conditions allow your celebration to continue as planned. We're not eating until later this afternoon, so I'm sitting around trying to keep my fingers out of the food until the right time!

Your posts are really interesting. Until I came to WU, I never thought much about Alaska weather in terms of dramatic storms and hurricane like conditions. If someone had asked, I would have said: cold, snow. End of story. It's much more complex than that, isn't it?!

And, I just took a good look at your map. When I was in college, I went with a guy from Kenai for several years. Shoot, if we had gotten married (as almost happened) you and I would have been neighbors! LOL!

Again, hope you and yours have a terrific day.

4. akweaver
5:51 PM GMT on November 22, 2007
This rain, and the winds are ridiculous, as are temps in the 40's.

So when is it going to SNOW? We are so ready for a quality dumping.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Alaskans.
3. DenverMark
5:26 PM GMT on November 22, 2007
Happy Thanksgiving Levi!!
That sounds like some real rough weather for you...a good day to stay indoors and enjoy some turkey and football! Hope you and your family have a great day :-)
4:59 PM GMT on November 22, 2007
Thanks. You have a great Thanksgiving as well!
1. OGal
4:57 PM GMT on November 22, 2007
Levi, those winds are almost higher than we had in Hurricane Charley. You guys stay safe. I hope things clam down real soon. Anyway I hope you can still have a terrific Thanksgiving meal.