Trouble may brew next week

By: Levi32 , 5:18 PM GMT on June 04, 2009

Tropical Tidbit from 12:00pm eastern Time 6-5-09:

Most of my philosophy remains mostly the same so yesterdays analysis will remain below this update.

Model Update this morning:

The GFS is continuing to develop a strong tropical cyclone in the Caribbean within 2-4 days and move it through Cuba and up east of Florida in 6-10 days. The model seems to think the starting point will be a low south of Panama that crosses over into the Caribbean. In my opinion it's still a bit too far east with both the trough-split over Florida and consequentially, the low in the Caribbean. Any development of the convection in the east Pacific should move NNW over Nicaragua and Honduras for a while, and then get pulled into the NW Caribbean by the upper trough over Florida. In 4-6 days the tropical wave currently in the central Atlantic may get involved, and regardless of whether a low actually forms, I think it will definitely be getting messy down there next week.

The only models now developing a low are the GFS of course and the NOGAPS model. Regardless of development please remember that this whole mess could be another big rain-maker for Florida if it migrates north in 6-10 days, so be aware. I will continue to keep an eye on the situation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Tropical Tidbit from 1:20pm eastern time 6-4-09:

By the way, the trough set-up currently over the northern Gulf of Mexico is very similar to what we had with Invest 90L back in May, and the little low that moved onshore last night over Alabama is warm-core, at least at the low-to-mid levels. It's got banding features and convection at the center, not to mention its position in the warm-sector of the low to the west of it. If you don't believe me look at its inland radar signature this morning (see below). I'm not saying it should have been named. It didn't have nearly enough time for that, but it is very interesting to see these things spin up.

I'm still waiting for the trough split that I talked about yesterday. The low mentioned above will be merging with the extratropical low center over Mississippi today and tonight. The whole thing will get kicked out northeast and a piece of the shortwave will get squeezed off in the eastern gulf. The last few runs of the GFS are drifting too far to the east splitting the trough over or east of Florida. The GFS and Canadian models are also moving east with the surface low formation in the west Caribbean in 4-7 days. The GFS brings the low NE over Jamaica and the Canadian forms a low north of Cuba. In my mind both these solutions are too far east, and trouble, if any, should be watched for in the far western Caribbean. Most models have trouble seeing trough splits properly until they're right on top of them. It's worth mentioning that the 00z European last night has dropped the low almost entirely, but again we know that models jump around a lot forecasting stuff several days out.

So it's looking like a good possibility of some sort of low forming in the western Caribbean in 4-7 days. There are several ways this could happen. The GFS version forms a small low pressure area under the area of convection south of Panama right now, and moves it as a tropical cyclone north and then northeast towards Jamaica, partially phasing with the trough split over Florida by that time. Another possibility is that the well-defined tropical wave in the central Atlantic will pile into the western Caribbean interacting with the trough split feature. The point is there are a variety of ways that trouble can start here.

Conditions will be becoming progressively more favorable for tropical development in the Caribbean and southern/west Gulf of Mexico in 6-10 days. As I mentioned yesterday, the high in the east Pacific will be nosing north into the SW GOM, and combined with the trough split feature will effectively split the subtropical jetstream over the Caribbean, leaving an area of low shear. The MJO upward motion pulse will be moving into the Caribbean over the next 5-15 days, which would enhance any activity sitting down there. It could be an active last half of June, and I think we could get 1 or even 2 storms out of the pattern, but that doesn't necessarily mean the rest of the season will be as active.

I do want to mention that, named or not, a lot of tropical moisture will be trying to funnel northward out of the Caribbean in 6-10 days, and Florida should be prepared for yet more rain. I will continue to monitor the situation. We still have a lot of time.

NW Atlantic Water-vapor Loop (to watch trough-split over north gulf coast)

West Atlantic Visible Satellite: (click image for loop)

15. jphurricane2006
3:28 PM GMT on June 05, 2009
Hey Levi, great blog you have here and yea it will be interesting to see how this all develops in the coming days
13. tornadofan
6:17 PM GMT on June 04, 2009
Ok - Levi - I will check it out at home. Shouldn't be blogging so much at work. LOL.
6:11 PM GMT on June 04, 2009
Quoting tornadofan:

First glance - it looks like your WU blog, except no comments. The set-up looks quite nice.

Well that's just the front page lol. It has my WU blog and current storm info on it.......the other pages on the left are a culmination of all my links and information at my disposal.
11. tornadofan
6:10 PM GMT on June 04, 2009
Quoting Levi32:
Ok I'm sorry but I have to do this.....

I hate advertising but there is exactly ONE person who has even given me an opinion so far lol!

CHECK OUT TROPICAL TIDBITS FROM THE TUNDRA

All feedback is appreciated, I want to make it as nice as possible.

ok.....ad ends here-------

10. HurricaneGeek
5:56 PM GMT on June 04, 2009
Quoting Levi32:

Doing alright how about yourself?

I'm going with 12/7/3

I'm good thank you.
12/7/3 sounds good. I am going with 15/5/3. And Ana on June 18.
5:55 PM GMT on June 04, 2009
Ok I'm sorry but I have to do this.....

CHECK OUT TROPICAL TIDBITS FROM THE TUNDRA

All feedback is appreciated, I want to make it as nice as possible.

ok.....ad ends here-------
5:52 PM GMT on June 04, 2009
Thanks tornado. Yeah and the ash from the firtest eruption is STILL causing moaning and nashing of teeth.

Thanks gamma it's great to see you!
7. tornadofan
5:47 PM GMT on June 04, 2009
Wow Levi - living near a Volcano is no picnic.

Liked your report on the potential for tropical development over in our part of the world. We shall watch and see.
5:47 PM GMT on June 04, 2009
Quoting HurricaneGeek:
Hey how are you?
You've always got good updates. What are your predicted numbers for this season?

Doing alright how about yourself?

I'm going with 12/7/3
5. seflagamma
5:47 PM GMT on June 04, 2009
Hi Levi,

so good to see you back again!

5:44 PM GMT on June 04, 2009
Quoting tornadofan:
Thanks Levi.

BTW - how's the volcano behaving up there?

Ah she's being an annoying little beast she is...

This from AVO:

Since the last explosion at Redoubt on April 4, the lava dome has extended slowly down the steep north slope of the volcano. Additional explosions are still possible. In addition, this large mass of hot lava could fail in an avalanche with little or no warning. Either event could send ash over 30,000 feet above sea level, produce lahars in the Drift River valley, and deposit trace to minor amounts of ash on communities in south-central Alaska.

She's been the same for many weeks now. It's starting to feel like she's gone back into slumber, but like they said another explosion could occur with no warning.
3. HurricaneGeek
5:43 PM GMT on June 04, 2009
Hey how are you?
2. tornadofan
5:39 PM GMT on June 04, 2009
Thanks Levi.

BTW - how's the volcano behaving up there?
1. IKE
5:23 PM GMT on June 04, 2009
Thanks for the N-FO Levi:)