Atlantic still quiet for the time being

By: Levi32 , 4:25 PM GMT on June 18, 2009

Ok so I was feeling weird yesterday and I got this random idea to try an experiment. I have noticed how much people on this site value graphical illustration much more than just plain words, so I decided to try something very embarrassing for me but I hope beneficial to some of you. I have made a video of my computer screen with my voice recorded over it and drawing software to illustrate what I talk about in my update. Now I know I don't have the rosiest voice in the world but it's the only one I have =P Believe me no matter what you think it's nothing compared to what I'm going through hearing my own silly typical teenage voice on this lol. I've never recorded myself before so I had trouble being comfortable and getting my thoughts to flow fluently out loud. Hopefully if I practice it will get better in time. I'm definitely not a natural camera person. The drawing software is also a little quirky as I have to use keyboard buttons to make it work.

Anyway please bear with me and leave me some feedback! I know most of you pass through without leaving a comment and that's completely fine but I would really appreciate some thoughts on whether I should attempt to continue doing this. Or you can tell me I'm horrible and I'll go back to written updates, be honest lol. There's not much to talk about today but I prepared my usual written discussion in case I messed up with the video.

Turn up the volume, and click HD if the quality is too low:

Tropical Tidbit from 12:00pm EDT Wednesday, June 17, 2009:

There's really nothing new to talk about. There are currently no tropical disturbances in the Atlantic Ocean. The GFS for some silly reason is trying to turn the extratropical low forecast to move off the east coast in 3 days warm-core, which is ridiculous. The low south of North Carolina along the quasi-stationary frontal boundary won't develop, and trouble if any will probably be found in the western Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico late next week and into early July as moisture advects northward from the east Pacific and an upper anticyclone builds again over the area.

Invest 92E in the east Pacific has finally been upgraded to TD 1, snapping their quiet streak, and will move NNE towards the Gulf of California. It may get named later and help bolster the global count. We have one for June! Tropical Storm Linfa in the west Pacific just got named this morning and will head off NE towards Taiwan.

The GFS has shifted its area of potential trouble eastward for next week, focusing energy in the western Caribbean now, which is still within my bounds that I've lined out over the last couple weeks. The GFS continues to form a storm and bring it north into the Gulf of Mexico in 8-10 days. The pattern is there and the area will be watched for mischief down the road.

Caribbean Visible Satellite: (click image for loop)

21. rands7
10:34 PM GMT on June 19, 2009
Great presentation. The video presentation was very useful. Audio was very clear and understanding. Keep up the good work. Thanks.
20. upweatherdog
2:29 PM GMT on June 19, 2009
Very cool!

Henry on accuweather does his videos the same way. I always wondered how it was done.lol

One question, how did you make the data slideshow and draw. Did you use Powerpoint?
19. AkWxLvr
4:56 AM GMT on June 19, 2009
Great Levi, you did good!! Keep it up! It will only get better.
18. Barefootontherocks
4:01 AM GMT on June 19, 2009
Wow, Levi.
Thanks for taking the time to do this!

4:00 AM GMT on June 19, 2009
Quoting LowerCal:
That was a good video presentaion, amazingly good for a first effort. Stick with it. I'll still be looking forward to reading the Tidbits and your comments on Dr. Masters' blog.
Quoting AKSnowLuvr:
I think I enjoyed that much more than trying to read it and look at the maps... I think you did a wonderful job, and after a while this will be old hat for you. ;) Good job!!

Thanks I'm glad it turned out decently for a firstest try. No guarantee I'll be as good next time but I'll try to keep at it =)

It will help when there is actually some significant stuff to talk about...
16. AKSnowLuvr
3:40 AM GMT on June 19, 2009
15. LowerCal
12:50 AM GMT on June 19, 2009
14. homelesswanderer
11:54 PM GMT on June 18, 2009
Thanks. That did make sense. :)
11:43 PM GMT on June 18, 2009
Quoting homelesswanderer:
Great job! I'm one of those people who need all the visuals I can get. Lol. Hope you continue making the videos. And your voice is just fine. I've heard others that were down right scary. Lol. Those I take my chances with their written updates. :) Trying to wrap my mind around the El Nino. But I think I got it. Phaze 8 is a new one to me??? Ok, its all new to me but that I havent heard before. Well I think morning's past for both of us so enjoy the rest of your day. :)

The MJO has 8 phases that each basically represent an area of the globe. You can see it in the image below. The line starts in May (green) and if you follow it you can see where it goes until it reaches today in blue (June). As you can see there are labels of ocean basins around the graph, and phases 8 and 1 are pretty much the east Pacific, Atlantic, and west Africa. Phase 8 is further west than phase 1 (as you go counterclockwise around the graph you are going east), which is why most of the upward motion is still over the east Pacific.

I hope some of that made sense lol.

12. homelesswanderer
11:33 PM GMT on June 18, 2009
11. 99lsfm2
7:59 PM GMT on June 18, 2009
Nice job Levi, Keep it up!
10. donlevone
7:32 PM GMT on June 18, 2009
nice tip! i really enjoy it! It's really more interesting. And don't stop doing it.
9. GetReal
5:28 PM GMT on June 18, 2009
Awesome job Levi!!! There is a future spot for you at the NHC, I do believe!!!
5:26 PM GMT on June 18, 2009
Thanks for the feedback all :) I'll do my best to improve them as time goes on.

Quoting crownwx:
Hi Levi,
Awesome job with the daily discussions. One thought for us with partially blocked internet at work (like myself), you may consider both the video and the accompanying text. I'll be able to view the video when I get home later, but they are blocked here at work. I can read text, but video/audio stuff is blocked :-(

Ok yeah I didn't know that thanks for pointing that out. I was thinking of doing that just because some people would prefer just quickly reading the text anyway. It will squeeze my time in the mornings but that's probably what I'll do if possible.
7. crownwx
5:20 PM GMT on June 18, 2009
Hi Levi,
6. KEHCharleston
5:13 PM GMT on June 18, 2009
Wow!
Last year, I had no idea what ENSO was. Convection?... went right pass me.

This year, I am beginning to pull some of it together. Your presentation, really provided a sort of 'Ahhh...., now I get it' moment for me. Helped me to apply what I am learning to what I see on the charts etc. Even MJO is beginning to make sense.

After learning the definition of terms that are used by bloggers on Master's blog, I often flounder in putting it in perspective. understanding on a gut level, if you will. Your presentation helps. I hope you keep it up.

BTW, voice was great. Apparently you hear it differently from the rest of us LOL.

5. RENONV
5:10 PM GMT on June 18, 2009
That was absolutely fantastic…great job. I would really encourage you to keep producing this type of media for all of us who do not know how to interpret the maps your are working with in your video.

Thank you so much.
4:54 PM GMT on June 18, 2009
Thanks guys =)
2. beell
4:52 PM GMT on June 18, 2009
Awesome, Levi-don't stop!
You have a great day also.