Blue Train

By: Patrap , 4:16 PM GMT on August 22, 2010

Another day is ending
And I remember when
My world, came falling down
Out there the stars stop dancing
Lost in my darkness now
The rain, keeps falling down
Light of my life, where have you gone
Love's true flame dies, without the warmth of your sun
Ah - ah - ah - ah - ah - ah
Here comes the blue train rollin'
Across my heart it crawls
The rain still pouring down
Another day escapes me
A little later maybe
Love will roll around
Light of my life, where have you gone
Love's true flame dies, without the warmth of your sun
I've been waiting on a corner
Yeah, I've been waiting for a sign
Ohhh, I've been waiting on the corner
I've been waiting for a sign now, oh now
Light of my life, where have you gone
Love's true flame dies, without the warmth of your sun
Whistle blowin', blue train rollin', carry my heart, my soul
Whistle blowin', blue train rollin', carry my darling son
Whistle blowin', blue train rollin', carry my heart
I've been waiting on a corner
I've been waiting for a sign now
Ohh, I've been waiting on the corner
I've been waiting for a sign, now, oh oh, ooh
Whistle blowin', blue train rollin'
Carry my heart now, oh yeah, ohhh
I've been waiting on a corner
I've been waiting for a sign
Hear the blue train, hear the blue train, ohh
It's the blue train rolling

Hurricane Preparation 2010 Entry

free counters

Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map

Page: 1 | 2Blog Index

72. Patrap
6:30 PM GMT on August 30, 2010
Patrap meets the New NOLA Police Chief Ron Serpas at Rising Tide 5 Saturday.

bayouflower meets da Big Chief Ron Serpas as well.

71. Patrap
12:52 PM GMT on August 30, 2010
70. Patrap
9:48 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
Thanks for the words and the image Mass
69. masshysteria
4:56 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
Hi Pat ~

May the true spirit of New Orleans and all its wonderful people continue to grow, shine and teach us all when faced with one of life's harshest foes, hurricanes! GOD BLESS YOU ALL ON THIS 5TH ANNIVERSARY OF KATRINA'S WRATH!

68. Patrap
3:17 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
Video of the 17th street canal floodwall collapsing. taken by New Orleans firefighters during Katrina.

The ONLY Live video of the 17th St. Canal Collapse.

After the breech was sealed,,that condo where the firefightehrs shot the video is in the background.

Note the Helo carrying a 2000 sandbag.

67. Patrap
3:15 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
We were many..and I gladly and proudly put my Service in the Cajun Navy,,right up there next to my USMC service.

So many voices ..so many people,

..to leave the dead to find and save the Living,is not a easy thing.

But the needs of the many those first few terrible days,outweighed the needs of the few, or like me, the one.
65. muddertracker
3:10 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
Thank you, Patrap, for being the kind of man that rushes in when so many run out. :)
64. Patrap
3:09 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
63. Patrap
3:01 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
Come Cane,or Oil..we shall remain.

We shall not be moved.

62. Patrap
2:55 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
The Nova..always vigilant,always there...

Always here in our hearts.

61. Patrap
2:54 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
Our best Christmas in our Lives..Humble and together in a small trailer.

We sang Like The Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Life went on.

With hope and encouragement from new found wunderfriends.

60. Patrap
2:52 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
My children then,,helping in their own way on a Home Gutting.

Now both grown, one in college,,the Boy a Junior in HS.

Life goes one.

But memories flood back like the waters thru a broken Levee.

59. Patrap
2:49 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
A Painting found in my Brothers Father-in-Law House,,Sept 05..found flooded in a closet,,but so inspiring that day.

58. Patrap
2:46 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
Waveland ,Miss..October 05

Beach Road near what was St. Clares Church

57. Patrap
2:45 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
Late the evening of the 28,2005

a city mostly deserted.

56. Patrap
2:43 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
Thank surfmom..may you ride da wave of your dreams today..too.
55. surfmom
2:37 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
Great Blog thank you
It's important to remind folks
they tend to forget the lessons..
and lessons are repeated till learned

Long Live NOLA
Long Live GALVESTON
may these cities grow and thrive
May the species, "Gulf Coasties" - survive

(((NOVA)))
54. Patrap
1:58 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
Hiya Emmy..thanks for a wunderful post and picture too.

Re-birth is a good theme for today.

.."After the Flood all the colors came out"..
it was a Beautiful day.."

53. EmmyRose
12:11 PM GMT on August 29, 2010
Like a Phoenix rising
New Orleans re born

52. Patrap
11:53 AM GMT on August 29, 2010
Thanx for that shoreacres.
51. shoreacres
2:22 AM GMT on August 29, 2010
Oh, Pat ~

Of everything you've posted, the photo of Nova breaks my heart.

It's been a long five years.Thanks for the videos, the music and the 17th street marker.
They all help us remember.

As for that "dead cities" list... Here's what a woman wrote in my wordpress comments today.

On August 28, 2010 at 3:00 pm oh said:

In response to your comment about those who do not love Louisiana:)

Pschaw!those journalists! I often read top 10 lists, just to see what’s what but always find, with some disappointment, that they never have anything to do wtih people. They always have to do with numbers: how many businesses, how many homicides, how many dual income families, how many this, how many that. Louisiana is people and beauty all wrapped up in heat and spanish moss and language.(Yes, I sound blithe, but do not mean to).

Yeah, it’s tough to have the capitalistic light (and in many cases, the hard reality) only shone on everything…meanwhile, Louisiana, and Galveston, endure, thank God and go forward regardless.

Yep.

50. Patrap
1:24 AM GMT on August 29, 2010
Hiya sandcrab..
Like a bad dream it all comes rushing back to the moment.
Moments one can hardly relate to another. Your a friend and mentor..one who shared with me here 4 years ago.

Thanks for that...

And thanks for everything you did for your community then..and now.

America could learn many a lesson from your years of experience.

I know I have.

Some "Other's" choose to be ignorant and willy nilly other's woes.

Let um.

"calamity Knows no border's, only men's minds and some women do"

They are what they are.

Ignorant.

Patrick
49. sandcrab39565
1:21 AM GMT on August 29, 2010
48. Patrap
1:15 AM GMT on August 29, 2010
To Nova,,

5 years ago tonight and tomorrow we faced the unknown together and were survivors.

19 days past before we saw the family together again.

You've gone,,but your never far from our thoughts.

We Love you.

..and We miss you.

And we Honor you as well.

47. Patrap
12:22 AM GMT on August 29, 2010
Hiya portlight and sandcrab.

Will be thinking of the coast tomorrow and all that you went thru as well.

46. sandcrab39565
11:09 PM GMT on August 28, 2010
If I can get the computer to work right I will have a tribute from ground zero later tonight.Its from actual footage locals only.
45. sandcrab39565
11:07 PM GMT on August 28, 2010
Hey buddy,
Was a nervous time 5 years ago. Hope all is well.Tell the family hello for me. I have to make a visit soon the kids moved to a new home gotta come find it.lol
44. Portlight
11:04 PM GMT on August 28, 2010
Our thoughts and prayers are with y'all this weekend... (((P and T)))
43. Patrap
10:50 PM GMT on August 28, 2010
Thanx for stopping by BF,Emmy and chicklit,skye.

Lotsa talk about as Rising Tide was overwhelming to say the least. From talikng with the new Police Chief to the producer of "Treme". Will write it up tonight if able.

Pics and video to come too.

Tomorrow looms like a large swell,and well..we will see what transpires.

42. EmmyRose
4:53 PM GMT on August 28, 2010
Hey Pat just stopping by
From NOLA to Houston
and five years back again....

Long live the Gulf Coast.

41. Chicklit
4:43 PM GMT on August 28, 2010
Everyone out here wondering where you are.
There's a spin out in the GOM, as you probably know. Hope your event is going well.
Today is my son's 26th birthday!
I recall flying over Katrina as she exited to the north on the 29th on my way back from California to celebrate his 21st.
40. Beachfoxx
1:40 PM GMT on August 28, 2010
Good Morning Pat,

Got this in an email - thought you might like to see it. Have a hanky ready.

39. Skyepony (Mod)
5:15 PM GMT on August 27, 2010
On vacation in Western NC week before last, someone told us about an RV auction. We were headed that way & checked them out. Very similar models, a few brands, all pretty used. Some had 900lb gorillas waiting for their new owners to recon with, all had this feel of desperation, sadness. It was bizarre, couldn't place it or figure where these came from. We skipped. Found out a few days later they were FEMA trailers from LA.
38. Patrap
11:10 AM GMT on August 27, 2010
morn' CW..

Louisiana State Museum to open new Katrina exhibit

Posted on August 26, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Updated yesterday at 6:31 PM

As he surveyed his nearly recovered New Orleans neighborhood, Keith Chaney reflected on how good it is to be back home again.
37. CoopsWife
10:59 AM GMT on August 27, 2010
Sounds like Serpas is hitting the ground running - BZ to New Orleans!
36. Patrap
10:58 AM GMT on August 27, 2010

Archive: Carl Arredondo returns to his damaged home in Slidell

Carl Arredondo returns home to his damaged home in Slidell – 9/15/05.
35. Patrap
10:56 AM GMT on August 27, 2010

It’s a Friday afternoon and there's a lively crowd at Trapani's Eatery in Bay St. Louis. Whether pre-Katrina or post-Katrina, that hasn't changed. But this isn't the pre-storm Trapani's.
34. Patrap
12:39 AM GMT on August 26, 2010

by Scott Satchfield / Eyewitness News

wwltv.com

Posted on August 23, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Updated Monday, Aug 23 at 6:22 PM

NEW ORLEANS -- As the NOPD deals with multiple indictments in connection with the Danziger Bridge case and other federal investigations, Superintendent Ronal Serpas is installing a 65-point plan for reform.

At a news conference to mark his first 100 days in office Monday, Serpas emphasized a new zero tolerance policy on dishonesty most.

"If you lie, you die. If you tell this police department a lie about anything, you will be terminated. If you allow a false or inaccurate report to be created under your name, you will be terminated," Serpas said.

The plan also calls for a revision of NOPD's hiring standards, and, with the help of state police, an overhaul in recruit training.

Other steps include: the use of vehicle tracking devices in squad cars, computer tracking of officers' off duty details, and a policy banning them from receiving cash payment for the work.

Serpas believes certain polices will be met with resistance from some in the NOPD.

"They must understand that this plan is in the best interest of the citizens we serve and the forward professionalism of their service, he said.If anyone cannot embrace these changes, then we will replace them with professional police officers who will."

There are questions -- especially when it comes to the dishonesty policy.

Henry Dean, who heads up the Fraternal Order of Police, said his group is concerned unintentional inaccuracies or mistakes could lead to termination.

"If I believe something to be true and I can back it up with the facts that I have, then even if you say, 'Oh no, that didn't happen or can't happen,' -- that's not a lie. It's an interpretation of what I see," Dean said. "We want the investigators that are gonna be handling these cases -- specifically these very serious cases -- have the proper training, so that when they make a decision, it's a well informed, reasonable, intelligent decision."

Dean said his group and its members support the reform effort overall, and said he hopes to work with the superintendent on clearing up any grey areas in the dishonesty policy.

Monday, as Serpas unveiled the tougher penalties, he said they're necessary to help the department improve and recover from the damaging actions of a handful of former officers.

"The selfish behavior of people's admitted comments during Katrina have ripped from the history books the tremendous bravery of so many men and women in this police department. Nobody talks about that, and -- rightfully so -- the insult committed on this community by those officers that have plead guilty is something we can never forget and will never forget," he said.
32. Patrap
10:58 PM GMT on August 25, 2010
Thanx for the Kind words robin,,we've all come a long way since those Long,Hot and terrible Post K storm days.

And although 19 days are certainly not the full measure of a Mans Life..for me they were the most inspiring and difficult ones easily.

..Sometimes the needs of the Many,outweigh the needs of the few, or the one..

31. robinvtx1215
9:49 PM GMT on August 25, 2010
and National Geographic is showing it again on Friday, hoorah.
30. robinvtx1215
9:46 PM GMT on August 25, 2010
thanks Pat, can only watch the evening shows, but will certainly tune in. I remember reading your blog oh I dont remember sometime maybe late sept 05 or even oct 05 and I remember I had ever did a post, but I told you what a hero and angel you were, and I still believe that. you were totally awesome
29. CoopsWife
6:19 PM GMT on August 25, 2010
^ for this blog - thanks, Pat for sharing with us!
28. Patrap
2:19 AM GMT on August 25, 2010
Yeah,

..I got some wu-mails about dat LC.

Happy Full Moon night too.

The Plaque only cost 1800 dollars LC. But its worth its weight in memory easily..
27. LowerCal
2:15 AM GMT on August 25, 2010
I think the blog engine was misfiring this morning. A change to my blog entry didn't "take" this morning and a comment that did didn't update the last comment time.

About the plaque, I'm glad to see the recognition of the history finally taking place.
26. Patrap
12:54 AM GMT on August 25, 2010
I dont know about any post removal,,but some of mine are das Kaput and gone as well.

My Post # 1 Here, youtube is missing..and #22
25. EmmyRose
10:29 PM GMT on August 24, 2010
PAT! Why did you take my post down?
When we were in NOLA we saw anything
but a "DEAD" city ....the french quarter
was bustling, people about doing business,
and a very well attended conference...
I saw HOPE not A DEAD CITY...

While Galveston and NOLA and other cities
have a way to go due to the past 5 years,
we are on the rebound!

Kprc - channel 2 is doing a story on the Houston-NOLA connection this weekend.

24. Patrap
9:56 PM GMT on August 24, 2010
Hi robinvtx1215, plenty to tune in starting tomorrow night thru the weekend.

Hurricane Katrina fifth anniversary radio and TV coverage

An overview of scheduled Hurricane Katrina anniversary programming, based on advance information provided by networks and local affiliates:

ABC

Bob Woodruff will file a series of reports, starting Thursday (August 26), titled Katrina: Where Things Stand. The reporting will appear on World News with Diane Sawyer, (5:30 weeknights, WGNO-Channel 26),

Good Morning America (7 a.m.)

Nightline(10:35 p.m.) and
This Week with Christiane Amanpour

(8 a.m. Sunday, August 29). Robin Roberts will anchor Good Morning America from Pass Christian, Miss., on Friday (August 27).

BET

Heart of the City: Katrina Five Years Later
Jurnee Smollett hosts a new documentary tracking the progress of several 9th Ward residents. Sunday (August 22), 9 p.m.

106 & Park: Top 10
Host Rocsi, an Honduras native who grew up in the New Orleans area, will report a piece to air Friday (August 27) at 5 p.m.

CBS

The Early Show

Harry Smith will anchor from New Orleans on Friday (August 27) at 7 a.m. (WUPL-Channel 54).

Scheduled segments include at look students involved in %
The Roots of Music
program (reported by former WWL-Channel 4 anchor Michelle Miller), and an interview with Times-Picayune photographer Ted Jackson (reported by Betty Nguyen.)

The CBS Evening News with Katie Couric

On Friday (August 27), Mark Strassmann will report on the realities of rebuilding New Orleans. (5:30 p.m., WWL-Channel 4).

The Early Show on Saturday

Correspondents will revisit residents profiled in the wake of the storm. Saturday (August 28), 6 a.m., WWL-Channel 4.

CBS Sunday Morning
Jeff Greenfield examines Katrinas effect on the nations confidence. Sunday (August 29), 8 a.m., WWL-Channel 4.

Weekend editions of The CBS Evening News
Michelle Miller will report on recovery efforts in Plaquemines Parish. Russ Mitchell (who will anchor the broadcast from New Orleans on Sunday) will report on the NOPD (scheduled interview: Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas) and New Orleans cultural rebirth (interviews: Kermit Ruffins, Irvin Mayfield). The newscast airs at 5:30 p.m. Saturday (August 28) and 5 p.m. Sunday (August 29) on WWL-Channel 4.

CNN

Anderson Cooper 360
Cooper will host his 9 p.m. show from New Orleans on Wednesday (August 25) through Friday (August 27). Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Soledad Brien, Tom Foreman and Randi Kaye will report on education, health care and FEMA trailers.

For Thursdays (August 26) show, subtitled In Katrina's Wake: Building Up America, scheduled guests include James Carville, Harry Connick Jr., Branford Marsalis, Mary Matalin and Julia Reed.

Sanjay Gupta, M.D.
CNN's chief medical correspondent revisits the doctors and nurses of Charity Hospital, from where he reported during Katrina flooding aftermath. The special airs in two parts on Saturday (August 28) and Sunday (August 29) at 6:30 p.m.

Documentary Channel

"A Bridge Life: Finding Our Way Home"

Filmmaker Joss Grossberg recounts the efforts of Dan Sheffer, a Florida loan officer who traveled to the Houston Astrodome to help Hurricane Katrina evacuees. Monday (August 30), 7 p.m.

The Documentary Channel is available on DISH and DirecTV.

Fox News Channel

Jonathan Hunt, Trace Gallagher and Arthel Neville will report live from the region throughout the week and weekend.

HBO

If God is Willing and Da Creek Dont Rise.

Director Spike Lee's four-hour follow-up to 2006's When the Levees Broke. Monday and Tuesday (August 23 and 24), 8 p.m. Both parts of the film will repeat several times, including back to back on Friday (August 27) at 6 p.m. and Sunday (August 29) at 2 p.m.

MSNBC

The Rachel Maddow Show
Maddow will anchor her show live from New Orleans on Thursday (August 26) and Friday (August 27) at 8 p.m.

The Ed Show
Ed Schultz will broadcast his show live from New Orleans on August 30 at 5 p.m.

Brian Williams Reports: A Return to New Orleans
A news special airs September 10 at 9 p.m.

National Geographic

Witness: Katrina
A harrowing collection of home videos and news footage documents Hurricane Katrina's approach, landfall and aftermath. Monday (August 23), 7 p.m.

NBC

Dateline: Hurricane Katrina: The First Five Days
Brian Williams recounts his time spent reporting in New Orleans during and after Katrina. Sunday (August 22), 6 p.m., WDSU-Channel 12.

CNBC Nightly News with Brian Williams
Williams will anchor NBC's evening newscast from New Orleans at 5:30 p.m. Thursday (August 26), Friday (August 27, with Brad Pitt as scheduled interview), Sunday (August 29, during which he will interview President Barack Obama) and August 30.

The Today Show
Matt Lauer and Al Roker will co-host live from New Orleans at 7 a.m. Friday (August 27).

Meet the Press
Williams will host a special edition of NBC's public affairs program from New Orleans.

Scheduled guests include New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu and Sen. Mary Landrieu. Sunday (August 29), 10 a.m.
PBS

Frontline: Law & Disorder
The culmination of a year-long investigation by Frontline,ProPublica and The Times-Picayune into New Orleans Police Department actions after Katrina. Wednesday (August 25), 8 p.m., WYES-Channel 12.

"Tavis Smiley"

Smiley discusses K 5 topics Wednesday (August 25) through Friday (August 27). Xavier University President Norman Francis is Thursday's guest. New Orleanians Abdulrahman and Kathy Zeitoun, subjects of Dave Eggers' book "Zeitoun," guest Friday. "Tavis Smiley" airs locally on WYES-Channel 12's HD feed, Cox Communications channel 712, at 11 p.m. weeknights.

The Sundance Channel

"Saving Jazz"

A profile of the great photographer Herman Leonard, a one-time New Orleans resident whose New Orleans studio, dark room and print archive was damaged by levee-failure flooding. Leonard died August XX. Saturday (August 28), 6 p.m. Repeats Sunday (August 29), 4:30 a.m.

TV One

Washington Watch with Roland Martin
Martin's weekly show will originate from New Orleans for anniversary coverage.

Scheduled guests include New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, actor Wendell Pierce, Saints coach Sean Payton, WBOK AM-1230's Gerod Stevens, Times-Picayune editorial writer and columnist Jarvis DeBerry, former CNN producer Kim Bondy and WVUE-Channel reporter Sabrina Wilson. Also appearing: Dr. Andre Perry, CEO of UNO Charter Schools; Tyra Newell, executive director, New Orleans Team, New Leaders for New Schools; Don Boucree, principal, St. Augustine High School; Wardell Bourgeois, entrepreneur; and Kevin Rodney, real estate investor. Sunday (August 29), 10 a.m.

CTV One Night Only: 2010 Essence Music Festival
Of local interest, though not directly a Katrina anniversary-related program. The special features performances from this years festival by Janet Jackson, Mary J. Blige and others. Sunday (August 29), 8 p.m.

The Weather Channel

Storm Stories: Katrina Animals
A documentary about animal-rescue efforts after the storm. Sunday (August 22), 7 p.m.

Storm Stories: Katrina Dolphins
The survival story of eight captive dolphins on the Gulf Coast. Sunday (August 22), 8:30 p.m.

Riding It Out
Jim Cantore narrates a new half-hour documentary about people who didnt leave for Katrina. Monday (August 23), 7 p.m.

In His Own Words: Brian Williams on Hurricane Katrina
A special from the archives. Monday (August 23), 7:30 p.m.

Forgotten on the Bayou
A documentary about Rockey Vaccarella's journey to the White House. Friday (August 27), 7 p.m.

In addition, Cantore and Mike Bettes will report live from the region starting Friday (August 27).

WDSU-Channel 6

"At a Crossroads: Five Years After Katrina"
A local news team looks backward and forward at damage and progress throughout several parishes. Thursday (August 26), 7 p.m.

Coming Home: Hurricane Katrina Five Years Later
A documentary, narrated by Treme's Khandi Alexander, explores the impact of volunteers on New Orleans recovery efforts. Sunday (August 29), 1 p.m.

WGNO-Channel 26

Special reports in newscasts, plus live coverage of President Obama's visit to New Orleans and local memorial events.

WLAE-Channel 32

Washing Away: After the Storms
A Louisiana Public Broadcasting documentary, narrated by Patricia Clarkson, examines several recovery stories from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, plus the BP oil spill. Wednesday (August 25), 8 p.m.

"Tavis Smiley Reports: New Orleans: Been in the Storm Too Long"

A rerun of Smiley's prime time special from earlier in the summer, in which he and director Jonathan Demme team to explore rebuilding progress. Interviews include John Goodman, Wendell Pierce, New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu and several Marsalises. Friday (August 27), 8 p.m.

WVUE-Channel 8

Forgotten on the Bayou
A documentary about Rockey Vaccarella's road to the White House. Sunday (August 29), 4:30 p.m.

Fats Domino: Walkin Back to New Orleans
WLAE's excellent documentary and performance film, recounting Dominos road back from Katrina, is scheduled to air at 6 p.m. Sunday (August 29).

WWL-Channel 4

A series of reports titled Katrina: 5 Years Later will air in 10 p.m. newscasts Sunday (August 22) through Friday (August 27). Eyewitness Morning News (5-9 a.m. weekdays) will air a series of reports on local education, health care, the economy, repopulation, as well as interviews with local parish leaders.

WYES-Channel 12

New Orleans Rising
A intimate documentary by John Patrick King tracks five recovery stories. Friday (August 27), 9 p.m.
23. robinvtx1215
9:46 PM GMT on August 24, 2010
Pat, I wish I wouldve seen the National Geographic special last night. I watched Brian Williams special the other night, it was ok, but I bet this - footage from people who were directly affected is way better than news reporters. oh well wont know now.

Page: 1 | 2Blog Index