First Snowflakes Tonight?????!

By: tropicfreak , 8:39 PM GMT on November 17, 2008

It is possible that we could get our first flakes tonight and possibly into the morning. Conditions are right for snow. Tonight's lows will be 1 degree below freezing (of course 31). We are currently in a cold snap the coldest so far this season. (obviously there will be cold snaps later on in the winter that will be much colder than this one)and it will continue through the end of next weekend. The highs will be mid or low 50's and upper,mid and even lower 40's. The coldest day of this cold snap will occur this Friday with a high of 43 and a low plumetting to the mid 20's. All of these flurries are from a clipper moving through the midwest which will usher in some flurries and some cold weather. I don't think the snow will accumulate on the grass even though it has been chilly the past couple of days. To tell you the truth, I would be surprised to wake up finding snow in my yard. Here is Jim Duncan's weather blog about the early arrival of winter.

The post below was published on Nov. 13th. All of your comments are appreciated. It seems that winter weather brings out alot of enthusiasm! I will add that the shots of cold air are still slated to be rather persistent through a few days prior to Thanksgiving. Some really cold temps for November are expected. Snow lovers may be dissappointed, however, as at most it looks like we may see a few flurries from these clipper systems ushering in the arctic air . (Posted Nov. 17th)

As speculated about in previous posts, it looks possible that Virginia may get an early brush with wintry weather this year, and maybe even before Thanksgiving. Although I’m not one to go too far out on the “weather limb”, I do think it’s at least within the realm of possibility that our first flakes could fly within the pattern that’s taking shape for the balance of this month.

Multiple shots of cold air will be dropping southward from around November 17th through the subsequent week. Clipper systems rushing across the Midwest will usher in the chill. Of course, of more interest is snow, sleet, or whatever… and those clippers should be dry systems this far south. Yet, the upcoming pattern merits attention, as even just a few flurries would get folks excited. We’ll see.

Have a great week and stay warm!

Tropicfreak

10. tropicfreak
8:25 PM GMT on November 21, 2008
Thank you guys. I'm glad yaou didn't say it a month late like you did last year!LOL
8. BarnDweller
4:29 AM GMT on November 21, 2008
Happy Birthday Wuba
7. pumps
10:38 PM GMT on November 20, 2008
TF.....A FLURRY is NOT real snow...
Real snow is commuting 25 miles to
work, a total of 50 a day, with chains
on your car, because the State did
not plow yet....Pumps
6. tropicfreak
8:23 PM GMT on November 20, 2008
Quoting CMKersey2:
Motoaca actually had a dusting of snow on their lawns. A friend sent me a shot of their front yard, You could still see the grass through the snow, but it was snow, no less. Yes, I think this year will be the year for snow.

Here close to midlo snow never accumulated onto the grassy areas. I guess you got a pretty decent flurry
5. pumps
9:59 PM GMT on November 19, 2008
My next door neighbor took his truck
mounted snow plow out of storage...
This is his 4th season owning it and
it has not moved one millimeter of
snow yet...The only thing it has done
is rust....Last year all we got is
rain....But, we are still due...Pumps
4. watchingnva
5:24 PM GMT on November 19, 2008
def. think this year will be much different than the last few...that damn global warming!!!...eh...I mean climate change ;)...lol
3. CMKersey2
4:50 PM GMT on November 19, 2008
2. tropicfreak
8:24 PM GMT on November 18, 2008
This morning at 730am the snow really came down. I saw some snow on the vehicles.
1. pumps
5:57 PM GMT on November 18, 2008
Flurries sighted 12:24P EST in
Midlothian...Accumulation 0 inches...
Pumps

Tropicfreak's Central Virginia Weather Blog

About tropicfreak

Live in Richmond VA. I'm a recent high school graduate who is looking to pursue a career in meteorology. Winter storms and the tropics fascinate me.